Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Reflections on Lent

This year I decided to commit to reading Journey to the Cross as part of Lent, which is a 40-day season of preparation and repentance as we anticipate the death and resurrection of Jesus. During this time we may fast (various foods, TV, shopping, Facebook, negative attitudes...etc), and aim to understand the significance of the crucifixion in a deeper way through meditation, reflection, repentance, prayer, worship...

During the Lent season we give up and take up. This year I felt to give up/fast desserts & sugar. I also felt to give up having constant access to Facebook/social media because I find myself checking it quite frequently throughout the day when I'm bored, and I tend to waste a lot of time on there. The Facebook app is now deleted off my iPhone (perhaps permanently?), and I am working on checking it only once or twice a day.

So, what am I taking up?

I am taking up reading the Journey of the Cross daily, and spending more time reading the Word, praying, and being with God. I find this really hard amidst the distractions, the pulls, and pressures that come with each day. I find it hard not to reply to a text I receive because I hear my phone go off as I'm reading my Bible or listening to a message. Or I suddenly need to do my banking, or fold my laundry, right now. Everything but focusing on God comes easy for me at times. This is something that really should be a lifestyle for me as a Christian, and is something I desire amidst the busy-ness of life that so often gets in the way of that.

The Lord has been whispering to me, "Megan, be still".


The laundry can wait. The texting can wait. The dishes can wait. Be still.


Sit at Jesus' feet like Mary did (John 12, Luke 10).

So, I'm taking up having this time with the Lord being un-distracted. This means putting my phone in another room, or shutting off my computer, because who else is worthy of my undivided attention & devotion but God our Father? Who else deserves full access to me except him?

What joy is set before us as we prepare for Easter, as we walk through the wilderness or desert where God is with us even when it doesn't feel that way.


It's not too late to give up, take up, and enter into this season as Easter approaches.


May we desire and come "to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings" (Philippians 3:10) through the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2).

No comments:

Post a Comment